View Single Post
jenboo 10:35 PM 05-20-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I wasn't implying anyone on here, of course. Most of us here run our own business out of our homes or work at a center.

I do think it is generational, but yes also individual. This doesn't mean EVERYONE in their 20's are this way. Just that it's a trend I am seeing.

I think it's actually the parents that are too enabling for the ones I'm talking about. For example, in one family there are 3 grown kids in their early to mid twenties (my husband's cousin's kids). They have all graduated college. One is very self sufficient and has a wife and a child on the way. The other 2 still live at home. Mom does all the laundry and cooking and cleaning. Mom and dad pay for everything. One has a part time job, but wants to move to New York where mom and dad will pay for the apartment and expenses.

Another of our nephews, same thing. Still at home. Mom supports him, does his laundry and cooking, etc. He has no job, no desire to have a job. Plays video games until 4am. Mom gives him spending money every day.

And their friends are (mostly) the same way. Content to live at home and have their parents support them. But the real problem (I think) is that parents are allow it and enabling it.
Totally agree!! The "friends" I mentioned before who moved in with her parents because they couldn't afford to live on their own, then decided to have a baby when neither of them worked full time, have enabling parents. The parents moved into a bigger house so the baby could have their own room my friend just became a stay at home mom even though her husband doesn't work full time and her parents provide for them. They are definitely enablers.

I meet people from various places... People I knew in college, coworkers, church, the community.... Of course not everyone is going to fit the category but I do believe a lot is generational. I notice more self centered, lazy people as well as a general disrespect for most things.