View Single Post
sahm1225 03:52 PM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I just took my daughter to the doctor's and told her that she hasn't been taking her medicine (Zoloft which she is taking for depression) on a consistent basis. Some days she'd be running late for school and not have the time to take it. Other days on the weekends, she'd sleep over her friend's house and forget to take it. Randomly throughout the week, she'd occasionally remember to take it. She's 17 years old. I expect her to be able to take her medicine without me having to tell her to. But even on days I tell her to, she will apparently say, "okay." to me and then still not take the couple of seconds to take her medicine. So I thought she's been taking the medicine when I tell her to and when she says 'okay'. But I just learned that she's been skipping her medicine more than I knew.

The doctor said that if you take Zoloft inconsistently, it can make you have major mood swings including extreme hatefulness and irritability. Which is exactly what she's been doing. So, all the attitude problems I've been getting from her for the past month or so might just be (hopefully is and probably is) from her not taking the medicine consistently. So I am going to make sure to give her the medicine every day and make her take it in front of me to be sure she actually takes it every day. Hopefully after taking it daily for a few days she will get back to being more helpful, respectful, caring, and overall have a better attitude and personality.
PV, I mean this in the nicest way... You need to stop making excuses for her. she's irritable and mean because she's a teenager and choosing not to take her medication. I know you want what's best for her, but you either treat her like a baby and let her continue to walk all over you & be mean or you treat her like an adult and stop giving her money unless she earns it. It's just you and her and it's obvious that you do everything to make her life happy. I find it ridiculous that you had to PAY another teenager to help you move things.
It sucks that she suffers from depression and its a life long battle for her, but she needs to realize that it is HER responsibility to take her medication.