View Single Post
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by CenterTeacher20:
Has anyone else been having issues with their no-touch thermometers since the weather has been getting colder? Now, kids either come in with hats on and their temp initially is above 100 just because their foreheads are so warm, wheres the kids who don't come in with hats on have such cold foreheads that the thermometer doesn't even read. It takes like 2 minutes per child for their head temp to regulate and I'm not sure if thats a big inconvenience in a home care setting, but at our center with only one family dropping off at the door at a time its becoming a real annoyance. I'm debating switching back to our old thermometer..
I temp at the wrist only.

I don't like the idea of pointing anything at the kids' heads (for several reasons) and the issues of taking it on their foreheads is too variable for my liking so I talked with my one DCM that is a doctor and she said to temp at the wrist.

The temps I take upon arrival are used just as a guide.
If I think a child has a temp, I take it using an alternate more reliable method and I also include other variables before excluding from care such as behavior, appearance and other symptoms.