Thread: Butterflies
View Single Post
Danielle 04:03 PM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
This is a really good way to do it; most of the "buy caterpillars to raise and release" seem to be the Painted Lady butterflies...and I've read that those are not really okay to be releasing as they aren't native. (Or something...I forget the exact reason I guess, but there was some reason why it's not really environmentally a good idea to be releasing the Painted Lady butterflies).
Not to mention the kids also get to see the whole cycle. We find the eggs under the leaves and watch the cats grow from being extremely tiny to big plump cats. And this year they are going to learn about the host plants...like how Milkweed is the only plant Monarchs will eat. Painted Ladies come with mush for them to eat. This fall we're also going to tag our Monarchs for the first time so we can track their migration later. I think I'm as excited if not more excited than the kids.

Last year we also found a Red Spotted Purple in it's chrysalis, brought it home, waited and watched it emerge and then released it. We also found a Luna Moth cat that started making it's cocoon before we got home. It's on my porch right now. It over wintered there. I can't wait for it to emerge.