View Single Post
Crystal 11:01 AM 07-10-2011
Laura,

Let me ask you, why should the provider be the one to give up income, when she is providing a service and paying out of her pocket for supplies/materials/food/etc. rather than the parent? This would put most providers in a financial bind, requiring borrowing of funds, etc.

Why should it be the provider that makes the sacrifice, rather than the parent, when the parent is the person recivieng the service?Why should the provider have to borrow funding to provide free services, rather than the parent borrowing funding to pay for her child care services?

I understand your passion about this. I really do, as I really FEEL for the parents and children that this impacts. But it also impacts providers, probably in a more significant way.....when a provider loses funding from 3 or 4 families due to the cuts, imagine how much MORE that affects her, than when the parent loses funding for her 1 or 2 children.

Also, you may provide FREE child care, but YOU don't do it for free......you do it for a paycheck, correct? You don't lose anything when the parent loses her subsidy, the organization that you work for does, you still get paid. So, your argument there is worthless.

Anyhow, I am a provider who has and would work with my subsidy recieving clients ( I don't currently have any and haven't for some time, but....)when subsidy is in limbo. I have and would compromise with a parent.....with the parent paying HALF of my fees and then we both got reimbursed when the budget passed. BUT, I had a savings account, so I could afford to that, many providers live paycheck to paycheck, just like their DC families do.