View Single Post
GretasLittleFriends 09:01 AM 06-02-2011
Pitfalls would be the spilling and clean-up if you allow them to scoop it themselves. Of course if Ben eats all his food and wants seconds of something particular, but Johnny doesn't eat all his food, he could complain "it's not fair" but that would happen if you allow seconds anyway, no matter how you serve.

Another pitfall would be a child scooping too much of something onto their plate.

I serve family style and love it. The child can pick and choose what they want on their plate. My only rule is they have to try everything in order to have seconds of something.

For example the other day we had (home made) teriyaki chicken, brown rice, mixed veggies and a fruit salad. Each child is served a glass of milk, which I've never had an issue with. One child took rice and fruit. He wanted more fruit, but I told him he had to try two pieces of chicken (they were cut up boneless/skinless breats) and a small scoop (2 Tbsp) of veggies. He was reluctant. He took one bite of chicken and LOVED it. He ate the two small pieces I served him and his veggies then asked for more chicken instead of fruit.