View Single Post
Texasjeepgirl 01:06 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I know what you mean. I don't remember when it was, but at some point I was at my first aid class and we were talking on the break. This one lady talked about how she charged a "tuition". One set price, no deductions for days missed - whether it was for their sickness, vacation, etc., or mine. Paid holidays, paid days off, etc. I swear doves flew out from somewhere behind me, the wind blew my hair, and angels sang a beautiful "ahhhhhhhh". It changed everything for me. I remember thinking, "we can do that???". LOL.
I love it...
And.. Yes... 'we' CAN do that.
I had a situation almost 2 years ago... I had not one...but two clients leave ... without notice.. because of my upcoming PAID VACATION... that would be the PAID vacation that I had given all clients 6 months WRITTEN ADVANCE NOTICE OF... reminders posted on the bulletin board.. emails sent...ETC... ETC... ETC..
It was actually the 2 sisters that I've mentioned in other posts.. 4 kids all total...
Long story short.. THEIR FATHER... grandfather to the children.. Had the NERVE TO handwrite.. and MAIL ME a letter .. telling me that he had been in business for himself for many years... and that he COULD NOT BELIEVE that I had the nerve to expect to be paid for my 1 week of vacation time.
NORMALLY I would have disregarded this letter.. but... I went ahead and replied. I basically told him that
~A~ I didn't feel that his lawn mowing business was comparable to the care I had provided for his 4 grandchildren in my daycare for almost 2 years.
And ~B~
Frankly SIR.. it really does NOT MATTER if you AGREE OR DISAGREE with my PAID VACATION policy. Both of your daughters were MY CLIENTS... They were each provided with a PARENT HANDBOOK.. which they both read.. and signed that they UNDERSTOOD AND AGREED TO ALL POLICIES.. 3 full months before the new handbook took effect..
AND they were both provided with WRITTEN NOTIFICATION of my 1 week of vacation.. 6 months in advance.. with FREQUENT WRITTEN AND POSTED reminders..I also offered to all of my clients that they could add a small amount to their weekly tuition.. in order to PAY OUT the week I would be closed for vacation.. so that it wasn't a FINANCIAL BURDEN all at once.. to have to pay ME.. and an alternate caregiver all at the same time... The fact that they waited until a few weeks before the vacation to get upset/unhappy.. and remove all 4 of their children from my daycare.. with basically NO NOTICE.. was THEIR DECISION...

I've been telling my dear DAYCARE FRIEND for many YEARS.. THIS daycare is YOUR DAYCARE... if you choose to be open half days... close at 3 p.m.. .. WHATEVER... that is UP TO YOU.. and how you run your business...YOU MAKE THE RULES... IF YOU CAN FIND CLIENTS THAT like you.. like your care.. like your set up.. well enough to agree to your policies... then DO IT...