View Single Post
imtatum 02:02 PM 04-23-2013
It was a blanket I supplied for daycare use and stayed at daycare. He picked it out as his "daycare blanket" and was for quiet time. A child with autism does not process things the same as a "normal" child will. They are very grounded in routine and rules. the rule is at quiet time he grabs his daycare blanket and lays down on his mat. He knew he was not going to be going back to that daycare, and he cannot do quiet time without his blanket. He "needs" it to go to the new daycare for quiet time. I have tried a different blanket until we get his back, but it does not work.

Its the same when i drop him off at preschool. I have to wave at him from outside after i drop him off. If this does not happen it disrupts his entire routine, he will melt down and will not be able to cooperate with anything until I wave. The teachers have called me on my cellphone to come wave at him when someone else dropped him off and forgot. They could not get him to do anything until this happened. He just sat and cried "grandma forgot to wave"

The simplest of things can set off his entire routine, and will make the enire day difficult