View Single Post
Jewels 05:10 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by snips&snails:
We eat only whole grains, & after we use up the big box of Ritz cracker they are gone from my house. I started eating "clean" foods (unprocessed, whole grains etc) & I want to feed my child the same way; since he eats 2 meals & 2 snacks a day with the dcks they have to eat healthy too!

I have been lucky in that only one of my dcks is a picky eater so far, the others eat 2nds & 3rds of anything I offer! I am sort of a hardass about the food issue though - if you are hungry you will eat I serve family-style, they get some of each food on their plate bUT I do not give seconds of anything until they have eaten the majority of what they have been served.

Also if it's a new or less popular food I start out with small servings so that I can save the leftovers instead of wasting them

I pretty much feed as much as they want to eat during breakfast & lunch but snacks I am stricter on - I give them a fair serving & tell them "it's a snack, not a meal" - they learn pretty quickly.

It is so hard to get kids to eat healthy when they eat junk & fast food at home - but it is also so important!

I say the same thing for snack, its just that a snack, no seconds, unless of course you want more veggies, they can always have more veggies!