View Single Post
Blackcat31 04:24 PM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Craftymissbeth:
I can appreciate your answer that "it's a business decision", because you're not trying to say it's fair or not, you're simply saying "this is how I've chosen to run my business and keep its doors open". And that's fine. As so many have pointed out, the business makes policies and the customer can decide to live with them or go elsewhere. What I'm reacting to in my post, though, is the assertion by so many that this practice is FAIR.

I'm a little put off by your statements on money though. Frankly, I think it's human nature to dislike parting with almost any amount of money and getting nothing in return. If a homeless man put a dollar into a soda machine and got nothing in return, he'd feel screwed. No different than I feel screwed. Whether I pay a lot or a little, I'm not sure why the concept that I should actually receive services I pay for somehow earns me the ugly title of "entitled".

We all work hard for our money. I think we can at least all agree on that.

And the quality of the care is irrelevant to the discussion about the fairness of this common policy, so I'll skip that in order to stay on topic.

Interestingly, the reason I DON'T use a nanny or a home center is because (this should not surprise you) I want consistently available care. I don't want to be stuck in a situation where my one and only provider is sick or her car won't start, etc. I understand those things happen, but I'm trying to minimize my chances of being affected by them by going to a daycare center instead.
I understand and even agree with most (not all) of what you are saying and honestly, my only answer is the same answer I tell my daycare children.

Life isn't fair.

The sooner you accept that and figure out how to make your life as happy as you want or need it to be, it is what it is. There are VERY few things in life that are truly fair.

Charging for snow days is NOT fair.

But I do it anyways.

Not just because I can but because I can and because it is how I personally choose to run my business.

If it doesn't work for a specific family, then they don't sign on with me.

Other than finding care that doesn't charge for snow days you really only have one other option.....live somewhere where it doesn't snow.