View Single Post
Daycare Insurance 03:58 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
True, but since you refuse to insure legally operating small homes that run license exempt, we have no choice; State Farm covers me for minimum $500,000 liability... and if I had too, I would up it. I guess the smaller homes that run like licensed daycares aren't worth it for you (regardless that I am a long running childcare & have been licensed in other states), but at least someone is watching my back...

BTW, because I am infants only, I would still only be allowed 4 children here in TN even when licensed... My only problem is my almost new mobile home is a single wide instead of a double wide, otherwise I would be licensed; I have jumped regulation hoops to take Foster babies thru the state (inc background, first aid etc) & qualify for the food program. Maybe you should reconsider who you cover

The size of the child care is actually not the issue for us. We insure small child cares as well as larger ones. We would love nothing more that to find ways to cover every legal operation, and we work very hard at trying to find solutions for groups of providers who have a hard time finding the right coverage, but it isn't always easy or even possible.

Much to my personal dismay, the fact remains that to some insurance carriers, if you are not licensed or regulated you are considered a higher risk and therefore you may not be an insurable one. Of course we know that the accuracy of that statement may not be true for every case.

To make a loose comparison, there are many auto insurance carriers that would not provide coverage if someone drives a Ferrari or Lamborghini, but that does not mean they are not legally driving it, even with a sterling driving record, most companies would still rather not accept the risk.

I hope this helps shed a little bit of light. Just a side note, nothing helps us more than large groups of providers voicing their opinion and concerns. If you are a part of a group of providers that is having a hard time finding the right coverage please feel free to write or email us. The more voices we have documented the better chance we have at finding a possible solution.