View Single Post
CaliMom 02:26 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
We get a minimum of two visits a year. We get an announced one at re-licensing time and then at least one drop-in surprise later. I have only ever had the two. I understand that if they find a day care with several violations, they pop in more frequently.

The announced one is pretty intense because they go through EVERYTHING. Every drawer and cupboard (in childcare area), check every room for hidden children(), inspect the yard, measure the height of fences etc. They go through all the toys to check for cleanliness, broken, size etc. They go through every single piece of paperwork...every immunization of every child etc. Stick thermometers in the carpet to make sure the temperature is at an approved level. The list is 14 pages long. I've heard of these inspections taking up to 4 hours if you don't have all your ducks in a row. That's why I get OCD!!!

The unannounced inspection is really just to check for very obvious violations, general cleanliness, number of children in attendance etc. They are usually in and out in about 10 minutes if you're up to code.
Wow, that's just crazy! We only get unannounced visits and when I have been inspected it's just very basic things like paperwork, a gate is up, check the pool fence, firearms etc. but never whipping out thermometers and taking the temperature! No wonder you have OCD. I would too!