View Single Post
Pestle 08:32 AM 11-19-2020
I'm in a hotspot, in a city with no enforced mask mandate, restaurants are open, and we're 15 minutes from two other states with laxer policies and higher infection rates. The adjacent county's infection rate is approaching 1 out of every 100 residents over just the past two weeks (they're the folks who just voted in that QAnon "My opponents are all pedophiles" representative, and they just lost one of their commissioners to COVID-19). The next county the other direction lost their mayor. My kid's school has shut down once (I was able to stay open) and her classroom has gone into isolation once (I had to close). We also had a shutdown for nearly a month this spring. We're anticipating another shutdown very soon because our rates are so high.

Our county health department handles who has to isolate on a case-by-case basis. They reach out and give instructions and then check back in to monitor. Unfortunately, because the infection rate has skyrocketed, test results are taking 500% as long to come in as they were in the early fall.

If somebody who's been breathing the air in your daycare has tested positive, it's possible you and all employees and enrollees will be required to isolate for two weeks, but family members who aren't living in the space won't be--that's how it worked with the classroom isolation period at the school.

I've been charging 1/3 tuition while shut down so we can survive. For families out sick or out in isolation, regular tuition applies, same as a kid out sick with pinkeye or the flu.