View Single Post
Unregistered 09:41 AM 02-07-2011
My contract states that the center will be closed whenever the schools are closed for the day, but will stay open regular hours for the early release or delayed days. So I knew that up front and am ok with that policy. I realize that they still have expenses such as utilities, but I wonder myself if they are paying their staff for the day or if the staff have to use vacation time.

I think the original poster has a valid argument if this issue wasn't spelled out in the contract and if all the staff weren't paid for the day. Not paying staff for the day significantly reduces expenses so I don't think parents should have had to pay nothing for the day, but a reduced rate for snow days where staff aren't paid when closed could be reasonable to cover utilities, etc. Otherwise, if staff are paid for the day, whether it be through vacation day or work covers inclement weather closings like mine does, then parents should be expected to pay in full. Regardless though, your daycare should have had this spelled out up front in your contract and it's a shame if they didn't. If they didn't have that spelled out in your contract, I think you should call your state to find out if you have a valid argument with that daycare.

If you are looking for other care, don't be surprised if all centers charge for all snow and sick days, while home based care varies widely.