View Single Post
Unregistered 11:52 AM 12-20-2008
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I just need to throw this out there and see what you guys think...in the past 6 months I have had 2 families where the parent got layed off their jobs and just called and said their child would not be coming to daycare anymore. No notice or anything. I require a 2 week notice. And they will not pay their balances. One parent is really mad about my rule on if your child misses daycare on their scheduled day I still charge 50%, so she refuses to pay her last 2 week bill, although she signed a contract where the rule was stated. The other parent just isn't paying for whatever reason. Both balances are under $100, so I'm not sure it's worth taking them to court. It's just very annoying. How do you guys handle non paying parents? I have been doing daycare for 19 years and have only had to take 1 parent to court. Thanks.

If we all remember, get paid in advance! Having a 2 week notice policy, doen't mean they will. Many parents can/will skip out. Every one of my parents pays in advance (8) and I have 1 parent that qorks nights and I let her pay biweekly.
It seems like it has to be the same everywhere, but maybe not. In my state, a parent getting daycare assistance can cry wolf about something (they are affraid for their child's well being or whatever) and they can terminate daycare with out 2 weeks notice, a provider must give 2 weeks notice or they don't get paid for the full month authorized from daycare assistance contract from the state.
I had 1 parent I terminated with out notice (they were being difficult, not cooperating, cussing in front of the kids, attitudes, etc...). The mom was the contracted parent with me ans the state (the dad illegally lived with her while she got welfare, daycare assistance, etc... for being a single mom living on her own). 1 month earlier, I told the dad he could no longer come pick up smelling of liquor, so he gave 2 weeks written notice (they have 3 small kids and couldn't find daycare), they came right back and asked if they could stay (I said yes). She asked if I could take more off what she paid (in 3 yrs. I lost over $4000 from her - money she she owed to hold 1-3 of her kids spots while looking for a job, on maternity leaves (only counting when I couldn't fill spots with drop ins), out sick with back problems) 1 month later the issues were piling up (slamming doors, cussing, attitudes). The dad made an ugly scene, I kept calling the mom to discuss (either termination or the dad no longer coming), the calls were ingored. I did *67, she answered and hung up on me. I packed up their belongings and terminated right then. Since she was terminated, she lost her deposit and all money paid is nonrefundable (per my contract - I always go out of my way for parents and rarely terminate, but my contract is clear - if my contract is breached or policies are not followed, I can terminate without notice). She called me 3 times after termination (I didn't answer to avoid escalation). The messages were harrassing and incriminating.
The director of daycare assistance said I couldn't get paid for the rest ot the month, since I terminated (normally if a child doesn't come the full month, you still get paid, unless you terminate without notice).I told her I would call her and put the moms messages in her voicemail (I called her voicemail from my cell and played her messages that were on my home phone), the director heard what she said and along with seeing her previous terminayion letter, she paid me (over $700). In many cases, a parent won't pay when terminating, they skip out.
Make sure you get paid in advance, even daycare assistance parents pay their portion of daycare in advance. Parents will say they don't have money, but they will pay. They have to bring their daycare assistance authorizationcontract on the first when due. There are many providers that are really firm on policies (pay before care id provided, authorizations, sick kids, etc...). Deposits are a good idea, but make sure you keep them in a seperate account and don't spend them.
Good luck