View Single Post
cheerfuldom 12:33 PM 07-12-2012
Originally Posted by clep:
I have had children like this and have shadowed each one of them. It worked every time. If I had to do something like prep lunch and couldn't have my eye on them, I would sit them in in an area away from the other children where I could see them until lunch was on the table.

Being so close to them all day, I would literally catch the child's arm before hitting and correct the behavior. I would have them then practice using speech to get their needs met, explain we can't understand what they want when hitting and that I could not help then. I tell them what to say and how to handle the situation effectively with the peer and have them do that. If they are unwilling to do that, they can sit somewhere else away from our group until they will. Once they do, I provide them verbal encouragement, kisses and hugs and a stamp on their hand.

I have puppet shows where the puppets are behaving inappropriately and have the children coax the puppets to better behavior. Each child get's a stamp for participation in it.

I catch the other children as many times as I can making appropriate choices and provide unsolicited encouragement. The child that is having difficulties is very likely to come around and want to earn the same encouragement the other children are receiving.
some good ideas....but I will also add that with the ongoing issues and the fact that you now have a fragile infant in care that yes, the aggressive behavior IS a liability. She may need more attention and "shadowing" than you are able to give right now and if that is the case, there is nothing wrong with you telling this mom that this is not working out.