View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 03:06 PM 10-15-2018
If that's what it says then I'd honor it. I know for me I used to have my kids make a specific wishlist that people could view online. I know it sounds weird but I'd have my kids pick which items they wanted and we'd go through and talk about each one. I'd remove items that are cheap (like toys that seem cool but when you have them in your hand they're made of cheap materials that break easily) or that are inappropriate (way too many pieces that I know my kids won't pick up, too expensive, too advanced for their age, safety hazard, too violent etc).

The remainder of their wishlist would be posted online with links to make it easier for people to purchase them. I'd politely mention that my kids have a lot already and that if they didn't want to get a specific item on their list that one was not necessary or they could donate the amount they were going to spend to a cause of their choice under my kids name. People didn't follow the wishlist and I ALWAYS had to either throw newly opened toys that broke within the same day away or had a ton of toys to return because they have them already. I felt bad returning stuff but there was no point in keeping them. I'd give the gift cards/merchandise credit back to my kids and later they used that to buy themselves whatever they wanted.

Now I just put on the invites that a gift is welcomed but not necessary and that my kids prefer gift cards to Amazon, Walmart or Target (because that where we shop and what we have) but people always get them clothes (that my kids won't wear because they aren't the styles they want) or toys that they already have or that they aren't interested in. Then I have to go around town trying to figure out where to return the toys and if I can't then I try to sell them in FB buy/sell/trade groups (my kids get the money) or I have to donate them if I can't get rid of them.

It sounds super rude of me to do this and ungrateful but in all honesty I genuinely prefer that people not get my kids anything. And my kids don't care, none of them. They literally have what they want. They do chores and work for neighbors, recycle cans and bottles etc and save up for what they want and buy them all year long so when their birthday and Christmas comes around there's nothing on their wishlist. We go to Target every weekend and always go down the toy aisle and through the clothes. They spend a good 30 minutes looking at and playing with the toys and usually leave with nothing even though they each have money to afford anything there. This happens with all 4 of my kids usually (13, 7, 5 & 2).

When I put "gifts not necessary" I really do mean it. When my kids get something anyway it's usually a hassle for me afterward even though I think it's sweet. My kids just want a party and to celebrate with friends and family. I'm lucky.
Just some thoughts from a momma who asks for no gifts (except for my 2 year old, all of my kids tell me they don't want anything).