View Single Post
Chickadee-Tree 09:05 PM 07-25-2016
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
My family and I discussed it all weekend and I'm not going to work through that agency (it's Wee Watch, btw). It's just too intrusive.
Good decision, in my opinion!
I went through all the research about the agencies because I really wanted to be licensed when I opened my home daycare. After looking through EVERY single option available to me, I decided to be an unlicensed daycare. I'm in Simcoe County (Barrie) and there are only a couple of agencies that I know of that operate in my area, Wee Watch and Simcare. The other alternative was to get licensed by the County, but all kids through their program are subsidized (you can however, take other kids too! But they ask you to take the subsidized families "whenever possible").
I finally decided to just be unlicensed-- SO MANY home daycares here are, it's honestly not even a 'bad thing' in the eyes of clients.
I provide my families with Criminal Record Checks for both adults in my house, my First Aid/CPR certification, references, and I'm an ECE.
I have written policies and procedures, emergency/evacuation plans, cleaning/disinfection schedules...you name it. My daycare exceeds the parents' expectations, and I'm sure it would meet the requirements of most agencies (except maybe those stupid policies that lack all common sense, like washing your hands 18 times per diaper change).
My contract/handbook is so thorough, I don't leave any room for doubt, and my families are more than happy to enroll.

In my opinion, the only thing a license would give me is a big, fat, headache...
(NOTE TO THOSE OUTSIDE OF ONTARIO-- a "licensing agency" is the ONLY way to get licensed in the province of Ontario)
...working via a licensing agency means that:
-you don't decide your rates/fees, you don't collect payments
-you get a paycheck, at the agencies' weekly salary (I know many families who were at agency-licensed daycares, only to have it suddenly close down because the provider wasn't making a living wage)
-you have to deal with this agency's "home visitor" coming unannounced every month, who is an ECE hired by the agency. They don't have to have any other qualifications, they are not linked to any government office or anything... This bothers me because they have a lot of power over you, and your home, and family! All it takes is one person on a power-trip to make your life miserable. If she doesn't like your setup, your policies (or do they set all the policies?!), your menu, or whatever else it may be, she has the power to make you run in circles making changes to your entire business.
I know a lot of people deal with this, and I would too, if it was required for me to operate-- It just bothers me that this person isn't an inspector from any legitimate ministry, etc...just an ECE working for a for-profit company. And after 10 years working in centres, I sadly know a lot of terrible ECEs (but a lot of great ones, too)
I know, I know...Some home visitors are great, I'm sure, and some agencies are probably great, too! I just didn't want to risk my livelihood on it, especially since I've heard less than encouraging things about agencies.

I guess for many people, the agency thing can be great; apparently they help with your startup costs, and sometimes help you with getting some equipment, and the government sometimes gives random childcare worker wage enhancement funding. But for me, it just wasn't enough of a benefit to give up SO MUCH control over my business!

Good luck with your decisions about agencies, I hope it works out great for you, whichever way you decide to go!