View Single Post
kiddosnme 04:51 AM 07-21-2010
Originally Posted by kiddosnme:
Originally Posted by Pammie
What works for me is giving each child a specific type of toy that they're responsible for cleaning up. For example, "Suzie, it's your turn to clean up the books. Jack, your turn to clean up the blocks. Zach, your turn to clean up the cars. Etc My group prefers this, because they have caught on very quickly that some kids do just wander around and not help, and others always had to do more than their fair share.

It also helps if we have a favorite activity to transition to after clean-up time. Like going outside to play, play-doh time, lunch or snax....then as each child completes their responsibility they can get ready to move on to the next fun activity.

As far as playing outdoors unsupervised, I agree with you! 5 is much to young to be outdoors without direct supervision. Maybe in his own yard, but not yours.

Usually when kids say they "hate my house" it really translates into they "hate my rules" but I'm totally okay with that
I am going to try that today. That way they won't be able to tell me that they didn't play with that, or so and so helped them play with it, so they need to help clean up. I think this might work with my own 3 year old son too, who is also having a bit of a problem at times, although the promise of lunch or playing in the sprinkler usually fixes that. He knows better then to talk back I don't really mind when they tell me they hate my house either, I pretty used to it