View Single Post
Cradle2crayons 02:27 PM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by RBettis:
HI, I am ready to get clearance to get a Child Development Permit License. However, I am scared to dead. In 2010 I got charged with shoplifting for some chocolates. I know, the worse decision I have ever made in my life ~ literally . I hunts me everyday and I regret every bit of it.

When we got the forms, the lady mentioned that if we had something in our background such as shoplifting, DUI and we had a child with us, the license would be denied (she said: "child endangerment"). She gave us an example of someone that had a DUI and had a child in the back of the car. She did not give an example of shoplifting and I didn't want to ask because I thought everyone sitting in that room would know I was talking about me... and you know, I feel so ashamed that I don't want to tell more people other than the one I absolutely need to tell.

Anyway, I was indeed with my child. She was 3 months old at that time (May, 10, 2010 @ 3 pm). After going to court, I got charged with an "infraction". It was a conviction because they said I was guilty (which I was indeed). They didn't give me a misdemeanor, like I said, an infraction and I paid a fine... other than lawyers fees (which the $6.95 amounted to thousands of dollars, let along with immediate family horrible judgements that still are with me... and the fact that it has been hard to forgive myself).

I live in California.

My question is, do you know of a similar case that this person was granted the license or was denied? I would like to open a pre-school center... but I will start with a home care for a bout a year if everything would work well.

P.S. I must add, I did this when I was older (not a child), which makes it even sadder.

Please let me know, something you must know.
best and thank you!!
I would list the infraction whatever it was deemed by name as from the court. Did the infraction list that your child was with you?

I'm thinking she meant DUI with a child and not shoplifting withy a child. DUI with a child IS child endangerment. Shoplifting with a child doesn't ENDANGER a child.

Regardless, I'll keep you in my thoughts. I can tell this is difficult for you.