View Single Post
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 06-13-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I'm faced with this decision as well... I have a PT family that I REALLY like!! But they're only here Th & Fri and it's like the 2 days everyone wants! I can't give everyone Th & Fri availability... For some reason all of a sudden I've gotten a million calls for PT infants. I have had 6 interviews and still have 2 more. I really don't have that many spots, 1 already found someone else, and 1 is temp care while her mom is out of town helping her sister with her baby and drop-in as needed in the future. Only 1 is a FT family BUT I almost end up losing money if I take them over multiple PT families. IF I can make multiple families work for this one spot I would do that since it's more money. I'm likely losing one family today and it's a 2+ DCB so it does help me accommodate one more infant, but that still doesn't work well. It's just such a pain to work with all these different families and their different schedules but now I feel a little more value as I can pick and choose who I want and if a FT family comes along I may not offer as big of a discount for the future. Only $10/wk instead of $25/wk.

Ugh... I wish you luck. Like BC said though, anyone would be willing to take them at a FT rate with a PT schedule but no one wants to do that. I have a mom I interviewing with a schedule like this. BUT she has her schedule literally an entire year+ in advance (teacher on B days only) and she'll pay for those days and her MIL will have him some days as well. Like she can have him Fridays or something so I have Mon-Wed some weeks and Tue-Thurs other weeks. He's close to the same age as the others I have turning 2, so it can all work out by Oct but it's the Aug to Oct that will be trying. Thankfully my SA son will be in school mid Aug as well and then goes back to sharing one space... Ugh I don't know. We'll see how things go. I have a feeling my DCG may end up going to preschool soon when she turns 2 so I'm not counting them for long term.
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
And of course as I typed this the mom who is looking for FT care wrote me that she wants to hold the spot!! I'm happy and excited but bummed at the same time to have to tell SOOOOOO many people that I won't be able to work with them now.
One of the things I do to help make dealing with part timers easier is I allow part time space to fall on M, W, F or T, Th ONLY. If they want weird days like just Thursday, Friday...I can't do it...too hard to fill the other 3 days...

Most part timers are set up as every other day.

I don't normally take 2 days a week but will if I have someone in the M,W F spot. The 2 families that fill that space pays more than one full timer.

If they can't manage the M,W,F or T,Th option I can't manage care for them,

ALL infants here, REGARDLESS of attendance pay one flat weekly rate. Infant space is soooo hard to find here that it simplifies things for me.