Thread: Great Books!
View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
Duma Key! Loved it! TBH-When DH first bought it for me, I couldn't get past the first chapter, so it sat on my bookshelf for about a year. I kicked myself after I picked it up again because it was a fantastic book. That is another that I've read several times. If you've read The Regulators, have you also read Desperation? The plots don't exactly tie together, but it gives you a tad more background on The Regulators.
Also, one last thing I love about King, is how his books are semi tied together in one way or another. You don't really notice it on your first read through them, but if you've ever re-read them, you'll say to yourself..'Hey! That person is from xx, how the heck did they get here?!'

I've heard about the 50 Shades from my mom, but I haven't heard anyone else suggest them, I'll have to check them out.

I haven't bought any new reads in quite some time as my favorite used book store here moved to Kanab, (a long, long, long ways away from me.) and I hate E-Readers, I have to have the book in my hand to be able to read!
LOL!!! I got a Kindle a while back for Christmas but couldn't "like" it as I too, NEED to feel the book in my hands. So glad to hear someone else feels the same way and it isn't just me.

Yes, I have read every Stephen King book written except the Dark Tower series as I made it past the first one and knew it wasn't a series for me. I have noticed that he has characters and places and sometimes events that are from another book and I really like that. It helps with that feeling of sadness you have when a good book ends. Atleast with King books you get a feeling you are visiting an old friend/place.

I won't watch the movies though that are based on his books as I feel that the "scare factor" you get from his books are different for everyone and the bad "characters" or villians from his books aren't always visual beings that can be seen/heard or felt....kwim? The movies are ALWAYS a let down so I don't bother.

I read a lot of true crime. Ann Rule is my favorite. I also read a lot of John Grisham and other similar authors. I love Stuart Woods and Janet Evanovich too. I will basically read whatever peaks my interest and looks interesting. Sometimes just fluffy entertainment and other times very deep.

I tend to stay away from self-help type books and those that are marketed as "spiritual" or "motivational" as I find them to be commercial and shallow and only pertaining to the author...kwim?

Oh and if I will laugh out loud and be entertained, I will read it....I laughed outloud alot while reading all of Chelsea Handler's books. Not a very classy lady but a VERY funny lady!