View Single Post
Ariana 04:34 PM 06-16-2019
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
Not only educators, doctors too.

I had a child with developmental delays that were mostly based on hearing and vision problems. His mom is a child psychologist. She denied everything. It ended up that the kid had huge adenoids which caused problems with hearing and as a result of speech development problems. He also failed his vision test before kindergarten and now wears glasses with very strong lenses.
It was possible to avoid all his delays if mom check his eyes and ears when I asked her to do it. But it took 2 years before she asked her own friend!!!-pediatrician to check on his adenoids. Even after that, she did not consider to believe me and check his eyesight. She waited next half of a year before the physical examination for kindergarten.
This is 100% the hardest part of my job. Professionally I am obligated to let parents know about development issues but I have stopped. It is too stressful and I have rarely found parents who will take my advice. At this point I mention concerns once and only once. I am just too tired to fight for kids and I am seeing them more and more as merely a paycheck. Might seem detached but its how I keep my mental health in check