View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Since I'm a first generation german immigrant, I still have some of the "old country" habits. If you go to someones house in Germany, they always offer you coffee and some baked good (home-made or bought). When we visited there when I was little, we'd get sent to "Tante so-and-so's" by my grandma (usually one of her sisters who lived the next block over). Even as children, we were always offered a few cookies and coffee or milk (hey, in Italy it would have been a glass of wine). Then, they'd as us questions about America and school, give us "a little something so you can buy yourself a treat", and send us on our way. ahh..memories.

Anywhooo...As a host(ess), you'd be considered rather rude not to offer anything to a guest in your home.
LOVE the flashbacks!

IF I were entertaining someone in my home, I would absolutely offer them something to eat and drink.

HOWEVER, when I interview a family, I don't view it as me being the "hostess" as I am not hosting anything.

I view it more as an informational meeting or conference and beverages aren't usually offered in those types of situations/environments.

Job interviews, orientations, parent-teacher conferences, etc....

That is the line of thinking I am coming from.

Plus, I do all my interviewing during business hours so the minute I offered a prospective client ANYTHING, I would have 10 other littles saying "me too, me too"