View Single Post
Willow 06:05 AM 05-21-2013
Every daycare is different but I wouldn't have accepted or kept on your family if your process started at 9 months.

I believe in child led readiness. When a kiddo starts showing those signs of readiness (keeping diapers consistently dry, becoming aware and able to tell an adult they have to go, having the physical development needed to be able to seat themselves, wipe and wash hands when thryre done etc) then I'll encourage the parents to start introducing the potty at home. When they are 100% dry for two weeks at home then I'll allow them to try underwear here.

Every child offered that route here has made the transition in literally a day with little to no accidents (no joke, I can count on one hand how many all the potty trained kiddos in my care have had combined).

Accidents are not only extremely embarrassing and defeating to the child but urine and feces in common play spaces and surfaces is a major health hazard that requires in depth clean up that takes me and the space I'm left sanitizing away from the rest of the group.

Not to mention pushing a child well before they are ready has been well documented to desensitize children to the process (which actually commonly causes major delays in mastering potty training) and recent studies have shown it can cause serious physical changes to the body which can lead to health problems (with kidneys, bladder, ureters, megacolon and infection -all from immature systems withholding voiding before the a child's body should be attempting such a thing).

Not to be a debbie downer, every family needs to work with their provider to do what's best for their child as an individual of course. That's just how I require the process go here because I've seen far too many children physically and mentally harmed by parents who pushed too hard before the child was ready. Not saying it's an impossible route to take, only that it will be infinitely more difficult for everyone involved.