View Single Post
Cat Herder 11:32 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
We've been getting more and more cases the past couple weeks. It's not just daycares that have to close, but also all public spaces.
Got it. We do, too. 2683 with 83 dead, so far. They are not going to close daycares, though. Well, not family providers, anyway. We can only keep 6 kids regardless so it had virtually no effect on us unless we chose to close or had several family members living in our homes.

The "10 per contained room rule" made many centers close. They are forcing them to pay the Pre-K teachers to stay home and also provide care for those same kids in the regular daycare for up to 6.5 hours per day if their parents are working. The centers get to keep the subsidy funds to cover those pre-k teachers and closed classrooms but not the teachers they are having to pay to watch the pre-k kids, now, or the paying kids they are forcing out. Many are reporting a loss of 60-70% of paid enrollment.

This is actually hitting the centers here much worse than private providers now. And they extended it until April 30th. I am really shocked by that. I expected there to more resources for centers since they provide so many jobs. Their employees are eligible for unemployment (if they made enough last year) but to my knowledge, the owners are not.