View Single Post
My3cents 09:09 AM 06-20-2012
So, the question is: Do parents even CARE?depends on the clients that you have- Some do and some don't. Do they care their kids are playing with a one of a kind doll that took 10 hours to make, have love sewn into her and fosters creativity and imagination? Or do they just see a doll? I think everyone would notice what appeals to them personally. I have an appreciation for homemade things. If it was beyond ugly, no I wouldn't think much of it. If it was simple and I could picture the possibilities I would probably like it. I would also like the doll that was bought at your local Target. What I would look for- Is it clean and well kept- safety issues- broken pieces, old paint. I have friends that have totally different opinions of that doll.

As a small, in home day care, does it even matter if we have a sort of "style" to child care? I don't know. Everyone's homes are different. I have seen eclectic style homes- everything is artsy, seen modern, seen woodsy-natural style, messy, lived in, neat as a pin, latest greatest etc... I think it matters to the person that lives in it, and is running the care program, and I think it is in the eye of the beholder for the parents. They go and see your space, place, and then they think if they like it or not. Importance will appeal to individual interest.

I wish they cared. I am really wishy washy on wanting to invest my time in making these toys and projects when parents won't even notice.Do what makes you happy and for the right reasons. I personally strive for a balance- and you will find a modge podge environment- leaning more towards artsy whimsical, colorful I often wish I had more of a stream line approach to my space, but I am drawn to what moves me, and mostly what I think will move the kiddo's

What has your experience been? Hope this helps- my advice is to invest what you want to invest. I prefer not to lean one way or the other but figure out what I like- the parents will like it or not and that is ok. I do projects with kids to give them the chance to use those materials, and I start young, babies. My thoughts are that if you install in them the love for color, textures, shapes, etc....young, they will grow into art and all its possibilities. The same with other things. I don't worry about what happens to something that is sent home. For one- you can't keep everything, enjoy it and let it go. Some of my parents keep everything and some of them it hits the trash. It is all on personal importance. Then you have the parents that just don't care about anything- I try to just stay clear of that type, try, but when I can't I hope I impact them in positives, just by being myself and my own place/space-
Best-