Thread: No Kids
View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 07-06-2012
In most cases, it really has nothing to do with you or your hours, program or stuff you offer in my personal opinion.

I simply think in general people are learing to downsize costs and will find family members or friends to swap serivces with in order to provide care for their children.

In this economy people are finding hundreds of ways to save money and I think it is great but it does have a severe impact on child care providers.

I also think that the trends in ECE are moving towards free or governement subsidized preschool at earlier and earlier ages so many children are enrolled in those types of programs and aren't needing daycare services.

I honestly believe that the "home child care provider" we all see now will no longer exist (or atleast not as many as we see now) in the next 2 decades.

I have been in this business for 20 years (plus 5 years in Head Start prior to running a child care) and this business has changed tremendously in those 2 decades that I fully believe it will undergo just as many dramatic changes in the next 2 decades.

Many states are adopting (or have already) the star rating systems and this to me means that states are requiring (or atleast rewarding) providers who are educated and highly trained in the field. I think this is a good concept but has a huge impact on stay at home moms who are running a service out of their homes and not looking to become a licensed or degreed teacher.

I think that state standards are changing every day. Our state is now pushing for more training hours and smaller caregiver to child ratios. Some states have super high fees for licensing and insurance rates and requirements.

Anyways, sorry to get off topic but my point was/is that sometimes not having any response to your advertising or any families looking to enroll doesnt mean it is you the provider but more that families are learning to become more self sufficient from within their own family/friend units and aren't searching out child care.

Just keep advertising and keep the faith. I know there are families and kids out there who still need services, you just have to be patient. Hang in there.