Thread: Milk Allergry
View Single Post
Triggy 04:28 AM 09-24-2016
I am kind of in a tough spot and am not sure what to do. My 2 year old and I recently switched daycare centers, I work as a teacher in the infant room. She has a relatively mild milk allergy but hasn't been given a large does of milk in quite some time so we are unsure of how she would react. She is currently on Almond Milk. We have been at this center for about 2 weeks and she has been given milk 3 or 4 times now. The first time it happened the teachers were not even aware and I had to bring it up, she gets a very specific diaper rash and rash around her mouth when she has had milk. I went back and talked to them nicely thinking that because she was new that it was a one time mistake. Well yesterday I was on break when I was called to her room, I got down there and her teacher was freaking out because "she took a drink of milk, I'm not sure how much but I took it right away". She was breaking out so I grabbed her allergy meds and gave them to her and told her teachers that they needed to check on her every 30 minutes to make sure she was still breathing (per our doctor). So a few hours later I go back in to check on her and I get a completely different story from her teachers, now they are claiming that I over reacted and that because her hives cleared up (after the meds) that they think that she didn't have any milk at all (I'm sorry 2 hours ago you couldn't tell me how much she had!) They then tell me that she had a horrible nap and that she was super grumpy but the situation with the milk "wont happen again" (heard that one before). They even go on to blame her for triggering her allergy. She's 2, she doesn't know better!

So I guess I am in sure what to do. The director (my boss) was not there on Friday so I am going to talk to her on Monday. I have already gone out and bought colored cups for her to drink at daycare but honestly don't know if I trust her teachers. My mother in law said she could watch her during the day while I work but only 25 - 30 hours a week. Right now I work full time and the boss doesn't like having part time staff. I am so confused as to what to do, we have only been there 2 weeks so I don't want to rock the boat too much in terms of my employment but I also don't want to leave my daughter in a situation where she is constantly given her allergy.