View Single Post
knoxmomof2 08:15 AM 04-12-2019
I rarely close, except for up to 2 weeks unpaid vacation (with a months' notice) and I get 5 paid Holidays. My Husband has a weekday off, so he does the kids' appointments, car repair appointments, etc and my doctor has after hours appointments for me. Otherwise, I've closed 3 times in 6.5 years. Once for a medical emergency of my own, once for the death of my Husband's Grandfather out of state and once for a necessary anatomy ultrasound for my last pregnancy. Otherwise, I saw a midwife on Sundays for all of my prenatal appointments, but the ultrasound was a referral appointment at another provider's office and I had to take the appointment they gave me. I had 4 days' notice. That time, I gave them the option of half day or keeping their child with them. Other than that, I am here. That being said, I make it clear in the interview that it is just me here and things do come up so they will need to have a backup plan. If my closing early a couple of times with notice puts them in a bad position, that's due to lack of preparation on their part - or they didn't listen very well at the interview 😁

I saw your update, but my thought is : a day or 2 a year, unpaid, with notice for something important to you is something you should be able to do. I'd give them the choice of not paying and keeping their child out for the day, or only being open for a half day and charging half rate. I wouldn't leave closing right up until you need to leave because that's when someone will flake... Every time....