View Single Post
Angelsj 07:26 AM 03-10-2013
I am home daycare, so take this with a grain of salt, but with that age group, I think I would try to set up the "theme" in a safe style that allowed the kids to play fairly freely, and choose their own activity. Have the activities follow the theme, but let the children choose which activity to do.

Wander to a variety of groups and use guidance. Talk about what the kids are doing, ask questions, watch for signs of arguing and guide that behavior, basically supplement. You can use your regular schedule to tone things down and change the flow. Outside time mixed with center time, or group time.

If I had complete free reign, it would go something like this:
8-8:30 (arrival) breakfast
8:30-8:45 group (circle times, songs, talk about theme, hellos)
8:45- 9:30 centers /free play
9:30- 10:15 outside time
10:15- 10:45 centers then cleanup
11:00 - 11:45 lunch then get ready for nap
12-2 nap time (we read a story or two before nap time)
2- 2:30 snack
2:30- 3:30 outside (less if the weather is quite cold, but still active time)
3:30 -4:15 center time/art time
Cleanup and pick up

As long as your centers contain the appropriate items (dress up, science/math, language play, writing, sensory, etc) what the children choose to do is on the curriculum. You are just the facilitator to their learning.

Take note, however. If you sit down to do something even remotely interesting, chances are most of them will flock to you. You can use that to your advantage if you like. You have the theme for an entire month, so you can always "use" one of the centers yourself everyday to encourage them to use something they are neglecting and further their learning.