Thread: Taking Time Off
View Single Post
Baby Beluga 02:34 PM 09-18-2019
I feel guilty.

I go out of my way to schedule appointments on the weekend or on vacation weeks (one week in the summer and the week between Christmas and NY.) My summer "vacation" was anything but. It was filled with appointments and medical procedures for DH.

I get burnt out as what ends up happening is all of my holidays and vacations are not true holidays or vacations - they are tending to appointments. Same with the weekend. Weekends are spent going to the appointments I can't do during the week then prepping and grocery shopping for the next work week. It's insane. The last "fun" thing I did on a day off was in MAY.

DH really wanted us to take DS on a day date when DD is in school as that had never happened before. I do take my families schedules into consideration if I can and try to plan around that. I looked through school schedules (teacher clients + many of my kids have older siblings so I try to align days off with school days off as parents have already made back up plans.)

I found a day in October that worked, gave 30 days notice and a nanny who picks up read the notice and says "I think that will be okay because XYZ."

Ummm. No. There is no "I think." I am closing. I am not charging.

I was pretty offended, but tried to see things from her side (nanny position vs self employment position and the differing rules each role has.)