View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 10-06-2017
Originally Posted by small_steps:
Wow! I haven't been here in so long! So glad to be back and come and check out the forum again.

So here's my question. I have always had an attendance problem. I think I've even posted about other employees here through the years. I'm not sure if I expect too much because my work ethic is high and I rarely miss work myself? Or if other people just have low work ethic now days.

I want to be fair but my assistant calls in at least once a month now days.
I'm thinking I'll do 5 unexcused absences a year before a dr note is required. This doesn't include vacations that they schedule in advance but more of the last minute call ins.

Is that fair? Too much? Too little.

What's your policy?
Welcome "back" to the forum!

I think the problem is definitely a decline in work ethic.
It seems your issue is a similar issue in most work places now days.

I personally think 5 unexcused absences are too many...I would stick to the rule of 3. Three seems to be a number most people easily understand.

3 unexcused absences and I'd require a Dr.s note before returning to work.

Do you do any type of paid days off for sick or personal time?

I don't know the legalities of having an assistant but could you do some sort of wage incentive? Like if you work 6 months without calling in, they earn a bonus ($ or paid time off) type of thing?

Ugh, I couldn't imagine trying to manage an employee in today's working world. I am continually astounded at the things workers try and get away with.