Thread: Gay Marriage
View Single Post
Willow 10:37 AM 04-03-2013
Luna - mine did. 5 years or so ago?

Despite having some pretty conservative values I met three people that changed my entire perspective....the couple I spoke of earlier and a horse trainer who happened to be gay. Before then I knew *of* homosexuals but never had the chance to know any personally. I discovered they aren't monsters, they are no different than anyone else. I saw their families and could no longer justify any prejudice I held. Before then I didn't hate them, but I did think they were different in ways that should have prevented them from being declared legally married. From then on though that thinking made no sense because now they were PEOPLE, not just a label.

Although I am not religious I sure searched my heart and begged God's forgiveness for my misjudgments. I still feel bad about it though I won't let myself forget that if I fudged there I am fallible
in life. I don't know it all, it's not my place to judge....knowing that keeps me humble.

It sickened me to learn that if two women are together for 50 years and one fell ill in the hospital the other wouldn't be allowed to make medical decisions. I love my parents bit it is my SPOUSE who knows my wishes and would be allowed to handle those tough issues. Legally, partners are unable to an that is LUDICROUS. If they adopt children only one can be labeled as an adoptive parent. There is always someone left out in partnerships and no, that's not acceptable to me anymore.

My heart has evolved and I'm so very glad it has. My children will never hear that judgment from me and I think it will help them grow to be more tolerant and peaceful people, which this world definitely needs more of.