View Single Post
Ariana 10:06 AM 07-13-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
How about giving him a single option that doesn't require you to direct him verbally?

Try a few days where you set him up in a play yard alone, with a single complex activity like Duplos or a play kitchen. If he eventually settles in to play, keep an eye on him; as soon as he starts getting bored, open the gate so he can choose to go play in the main play area.

I don't have a fast fix for you. I don't think fast fixes really exist when it's an ingrained behavior. Sometimes, when we change our tactics, it startles the child into modifying the negative behavior, but long-term change requires long-term effort.
I don't have a play yard but he seems to only engage in one activity which is cars. Cars are located downstairs and when we are in my upstairs play area is when he has problems. I just don't want to cater to his very limited play repertoire.

He is acting very much like another child I had who I suspected had ASD. This child is much more social however so I am not convinced this is his issue. His 16 month old brother only plays with trains but is able to adapt when trains are not available because he is still in the exploring phase.

Today while outside he held his hands over his eyes/ears and just walked around the yard. Then eventually started crying, wanting to come inside. At this point I feel like management is the obly thing I can do with the behavior.