View Single Post
kidkair 07:15 PM 09-15-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
OK i'll bite on this one
why would I choose to spank my child when I can find another option for a daycare child-why wouldn't I use that same option for my own child--this is the question, correct?
1. just because something "works" temporarily for a dck, doesn't mean it actually is going to stop any behaviors permanently. ie. distracting a child does nothing to teach him his behavior is wrong-yet it's one of the "experts" favorite tools
Distracting is not the only way too redirect. I constantly stop a child and tell them that what they are doing is wrong and direct them into a better way to solve the situation. I don't simply distract them.
2. I am responsible to God and to society (now and in the future) for the behavior of MY children, not the daycare children I have for a short time. I believe you are very much responsible for the behavior of any child in your care be them yours always or temporary. I believe that no matter how long we have with each child that comes in our care, we affect their lives a little or a ton. Don't forget that children react to everything in their environment a lot more than us adults do.
3. I am responsable for providing an environment for dcks that is a different environment from the one I need to provide for my own children in many ways, discipline being only one.That's your choice. You could chose to provide the same discipline.
4 My children are my LIFE -although I love my dcks to bits, they are not the same as my own, and I don't think anyone other than a parent should spank a child-the relationship is not the same and the love that is involved in a spankng done correctly would not be there for a child that is not your own.Spanking out of love is BS. You're reacting to their behavior with frustration and anger not love. Love would be taking them in hand and having them repeat the situation in a better way so that they learn how to do it better rather than learning to fear a spanking.
I'm sure if I took the time, i could answer this better, but this is what i've come up with off the top of my head. I hope this explains it for you
(also remember that just because this is true for me, doesn't mean it's true for everyone that believes in the value of spanking)
I hope this clarifies my feelings on this subject.