View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 10-13-2010

Not sure how this would work for you, but I had a super aggressive/mean child in care. Every time he had an incident, I documented and when he reached 3 "incident reports" in one day, I called mom and had him picked up immediately. We did this almost daily for two weeks. I told mom up front that I was willing to work with her to solve this problem but I also had to look out for the safety of the other children as well. I say work with her because this is her child and should be her problem to fix, not yours. I know it is sometimes a burden to parents to have to leave their jobs to pick up their kids, but come on, it is their child and they should have to figure out a plan of action for their child's behaviors. If this child were in school, that is exactly what would happen. I was always taught that people fix problems only when the problem becomes theirs. Right now it sounds like this kids problem is yours. It should belong to the parent. You can assist and aid her in what ever way you two work it out, but ultimately, this is her child and she needs to figure out a way to discipline him. I've had to take this plan of action 3 times in 16 years and all 3 times, the issue was solved in a positive manner because the parent (who is the child's ultimate source of authority and guidance) took control. One of those children is now 13 and is my summer helper.....couldn't be a better kid!!!

On a side note, I TOTALLY agree with the other gals, you are gonna start having other families leave if this little one continues behaving this way.