View Single Post
Carole's Daycare 07:47 AM 02-23-2010
Here we can have assistants at 16, but they cant be left alone until 18. Our assistants/helpers have the same training requirements as we do, and can't be left alone until 18 and have had the SIDS/shaken baby and other training. I expect many home daycare providers use older teenage children as helpers in some form- I know I did/do, but that's generally more to provide extra eyes and hands in the yard to push swings, play with kids, or lead a craft activity or game of musical chairs, or help w/ meal cleanup. My daughter is 17 and has been helping for years in the summer (last year she went & got a better paying job lol) but I would never leave her alone. Since she is an accomplished musician and talented singer, I occasionally have her do music w/ the kids while I clean up from a project or prepare a meal. She might keep an eye out in the yard w/ school agers after school while I'm in house changing a baby diaper or helping a toddler go potty for a minute( I would never have her help w/ diapering/potty either, except her own brother when he was small) - but in my state school agers can play in the yard without me as long as I am "available" anyway, while other ages need me within sight/hearing. She has had 1st Aid /CPR etc but not infant trainings. Most of my families have used her as an evening /weekend babysitter since they know her and the kids are comfortable with her. Leaving the actual property as this provider did is really unacceptable without a qualified substitute/helper, the definition of which may vary by state as to age and qualifications. I would definitely want to know more about the young man that was helping (age, training, background check, and what those rules for the state are) because that provider needs to know that is unacceptable, probably illegal, and downright stupid and risky.