View Single Post
dEHmom 10:23 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
i agree with alot of the above posts.

children need "routine", for sure. but not a rigid "schedule".

the whole purpose of having a "HOME" daycare, is just that....."HOME". i want my kiddos to feel like they are at home here. not a classroom. young children, IMO, need love and comfort, and their basic needs met.

i do alot of the things pammie mentioned. much of our day is "teaching" them the basics. learning to get dressed, table manners, and toileting ARE curriculum. does it drive me nuts to spend more time dressing for the snow then the time we actually spend outside it in? yes. but its part of the learning process.

i also feel its more important to teach them how to treat each other, cope with disappointment, empathy and respect, then to make sure little susie can write the letter M perfectly.

i would NEVER buy a prepackaged curriculum. i dont even spend that much time researching on the web for building a curriculum myself. there's really no need to. they dont do worksheets either, and no TV.

i do follow the creative curriculum. (its my bible...LOL) i also use the monessori method, and reggio emilia approach. we dont have set themes, its more about what the children are interested in. very child centered and emergent.

our day typically looks like this.....

the kids arrive and are free to choose what they want to do until breakfast.

we wash up, and help prepare the food, set the table, and eat together.

diapers are changed and potty time

we gather for circle time, but those who dont want to join us are free to do something else. i will do lots of songs, ABC's and counting, flannelboard, etc during this time, but its not flashcard or rote memorization type things. more of a hands on fun approach.

then the children are free to choose an area to play....dramatic, blocks, table games, books/listening center, writing table, music, art, sand & water. there are no preset art activities. everything is out and available to them to choose what they want to create. some of you may think "what a mess she probably has" lol but when you start young, and teach them responsibility, it all comes quite naturally. even the young two year olds pick up their supplies when they are done, and sweep up the sand with little hand brooms. THAT is part of the learning process.

we spend the next 1/2 hour just getting dressed to go outside. again, part of the learning process.

when we come in, its potty time/diapers again.

we then set the table and help prepare lunch. we eat together, family style. the kids serve and pour themselves. yes they spill, but they learn to clean up. (yet again, they are learning.)

we then have story time, and nap.

when they get up, its diapers/potty and snack, all which they are fully involved.

we welcome home the SAgers, and free play until pickup.

i'm never stressed, never hurried. our days are very relaxed here. the kids are learning through everyday experiences a boxed curriculum can never give them.

i gain more personal fullfillment in seeing tommy tie his shoes, clean his own mess, or help a friend, then i would if i taught him algebra.

i am really into slow family living, and living simply. i see too many families rushing through the day, and rushing through their lives, just to "get it all done". and most of the time its just so they can have "more stuff". so while the smith's and the jones' are shoving McD's in their faces in the car on the way to their soccer/baseball/music/dance/karate all-in-one-night practices, we are at the table together eating a wholesome home cooked meal, relaxed, enjoying each others company, and getting to know one another in a new way each day.

and i strive to run my daycare the same way.

geez, i'll get off my soapbox now. sorry that was so long
no soapbox...

applause!!!