View Single Post
Annalee 09:16 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by kendallina:
You could check your state's department of education's website. They should have info on kinder readiness, Ohio's has a very detailed list.

Of course these lists do not focus enough on the social and emotional factors that we all know are SOOO important, so don't forget those. I also have found out that FINE MOTOR skills are almost more important than anything they put on the list. Keeping those things in mind, check the list.

BUT, at age 3-1/2 there really isn't much you could/should be doing except exposing her letters/numbers/etc. It isn't really appropriate to drill her on them or anything. Let her play, give her puzzles, read to her, rhyme with her. Give her playdough and other fine motor tasks. I don't start much with them until they're 4 AND ready.
My state has a kindergarten readiness flyer on the education website also. At the beginning of school the kindys will take a "brigance test"....It is overwhelming to a new child and they are being told they can go outside when they finish Of course it is letters, numbers, shapes, etc...but it is also body parts like heel, jaw, etc....so we work particularly on the parts that are not so much talked about....Also, if they get all 26 letters but miss one, they are discredited alot. And when they draw their little person, it has to have all body parts....neck, heel, jaw, etc or they get discounted there as well....not fair and I prepare my clients emotionally for this test because we, as parents, want our kids to excel....their child may score well or not, but it will still be ok.......my own sons teachers told me when they entered kindy the teachers never look at the test again after the first initial confrerence with parents....the test just gives a baseline for them to go on.