View Single Post
nanglgrl 02:50 PM 10-13-2016
The problems I could see are:
1. Waivers won't protect you if a child gets hurt.
2. Some states require that children have their own helmet of that each helmet goes through a sanitation process before/after use if it's shared. Daycare centers in my area have gotten rid of all trikes, bikes etc. for this reason and because of a fall surfacing rule.
3. On the top of most parents list for daycare is safety (followed closely by price and for some it's price then safety). Then comes environment, basically what kind of learning environment most matches their parenting..outdoors..Montessori..preschool like..home like. Other things come after that but again they are related to safety..organic food...cloth diapering..breast feeding friendly.
Even the parents I know who ride bikes quite a bit (I'm in Cedar Falls, Iowa..tons of great bike trails and RAGBRAI) aren't pushing for their child to ride a bike at daycare.
4. Insurance coverage
5. Safety. It's hard to keep an eye on the bike riders and the ones that aren't riding bikes at the same time.
6. If you're interested in QRS this could be seen as a falling hazard and need appropriate surfacing.

On another note, I love balance bikes! My children learned so quickly after using a balance bike. I intended to keep it for my daycare but quickly learned that it just didn't work. I had more safety concerns for my daycare children and they weren't as willing to take part in the risky behavior of taking their feet off the ground. I ended up giving it to a neighbor.