Thread: Parent Lied...
View Single Post
e.j. 05:29 PM 05-27-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Some if the behaviors she described I've have never seen him do, she has never mentioned nor the school. We have long suspected that she holds him back intentionally, for example she insisted on using bottles, teething rings, etc long after he stopped needing them and stopped his therapy for a whole year, insisting he was "fine with we (the center) were doing".
It wouldn't surprise me if you or the school didn't see the behaviors this mother is seeing at home. From the time he was very young, I would ask others close to us if they noticed anything "off" about my son's behaviors. Everyone's reaction was basicially that I was a worry-wart and that he was fine. Part of the problem I had in getting my son diagnosed with Asperger's is that he was so good at holding it together at school. It took all he had in him to get through the day there but as soon as he walked in the door at home, he would totally melt down. When I described his anxiety and meltdowns during IEP meetings, they all looked at me as if I had 3 heads. I'm sure they thought I was nuts. In this woman's case, though, if she really is intentionally holding him back, I feel sorry for the child.

Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
How would you feel about this? He received a triple diagnosis and was put on meds for ADHD (at four??). I think she's trying to get more SSI for him. She seemed almost excited when she told us the results.
It took me so long to get my son's doctor to take my concerns seriously (years!) that by the time he received his diagnosis, I was thrilled and felt almost like celebrating because not only was I finally vindicated, I was relieved to finally be able to get the help I felt he needed. It took a couple of days before the seriousness of his diagnosis hit me. Again, if she is doing this for inscreased SSI benefits, though, I'd be disgusted with her.