View Single Post
mismatchedsocks 05:05 PM 06-23-2010
School agers being too friendly... I would bring it up to the kids until you see something that resembles it. I do not allow whispering here either.

Sibling fighting between two school agers, I tend to make them not play with each other for a certain amount of time. I tell them that they see each other and act different at home, but it is not allowed here. I find that all school agers fight toward end of week, I think its just the having to play with certain people all week? SO I feel that if its related, they have enough time at home together to fight!

I think the 7 year old must be the age for the pouting and being in charge. I have two of them here. I split them up a few times a day, and get in the middle if I feel it is not fair for a certain amount of time. Its hard.

I make all kids help me clean all day. Normally they clean up after they are done with whatever they are playing, but you know how kids clean. So I clean it up my way during nap, that way they dont think they did a bad job!

And I dont GIVE them chores, but they are asked to help with things, different each day, and there has been no issue with that yet. I think its good to have the daycare kids ( no matter what age ) help you clean, fold towels, wash toys, etc.

I tell the parents IF it is unbearable. Usually I handle everything, and there is not too much I "tell" parents. But when I do I tread lightly. "Bob was having a rough morning listening and being nice to his friends, but after we had a talk, he apologized and we will have better day tomorrow, right bob?"

Providerwatch is the website.

I do not put older kids in time out UNLESS its for lying, or hitting, or something really big. I do use the "grab a book and pillow and go read by yourself until you can join the group with better choices." I also have had a child write sentences, when all else failed, and I had permission from mom. The lying improved after he hated his friends playing wii, when his privilage was taken away. Oh that is the big thing i stress here. "
SCHOOL AGE PRIVILAGES" that is what I tell them all at beginning of summer, or remind them when they start, or start to all act up. It is things like, wii, gameboys, computer time, ALONE outside time at naptime, or being my helper one day a week during nap, which means they can follow me around and we can talk. They love all those things and if they act up, those things are taken away, and they are treated like the "littler ones" with set quiet time, and no private outside time.

My school agers are the hardest to keep busy. I feel your pain. I made scavenger hunt lists at beginning of summer ( which was only 10 days ago.... 10 weeks to go) and each time we go for walk ( daily!) we grab one and the kids have to find everything on the list. Tomorrow we are going for a walk and the school agers are sticking on rubber gloves and we are picking up trash in the neighborhood. We also are going to the movies tomorrow, ( 10am movie $1 for older movies) and I told older kids IF they are good for the next two weeks I will take JUST the older kids to the next one.

I also allow the older kids to play outside without me at nap time. My room window is facing backyard, and I usually check email, email photos, and have sight to the little ones, and usually one awake baby in with me. My assistant will start with water for them, if they prove they can listen.

Lots of rules for them, but I have not had one complaint and am upfront with them and parents about them. I tell them it is hard to have 5 week old babies to 12 year old kids to watch, teach, nutrure, and me still stay sane each day. Most are siblings of younger kids, so they get it!