View Single Post
daycarediva 10:34 AM 05-24-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I've been reading lately (in the newspaper, sorry I don't have the links handy and we're heading outside now) that there's a big difference in marriage/parenthood rates between the educated/more affluent and lower education/income. Pretty much the educated/better income folk wait to have children until after marriage but not so much the less ed/lower income. So the more vulnerable are attempting parenthood on their own or in less stable situations.

Looking at the why, I've been reading things like that the men just aren't that appealing to the women and so marriage isn't as appealing.

There's so much data on single motherhood corresponding/causing poverty. It makes me mad. I feel like the powerful and influential completely ignore the importance of a restrained lifestyle and are selling out the most vulnerable members of society.

I realize that my feelings aren't popular with everyone and are probably considered very old-fashioned. But the data seems to back me up.
I'm pretty old school myself, but children from two parent households statistically have better outcomes. I hear what you're saying.