View Single Post
Cradle2crayons 08:18 PM 05-19-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you!! I used to be one of the people who thought ADHD was a discipline issue- then I had a son with it!!! He was suddenly failing in school- he was well behaved but just wasn't getting it... Testing (which we expected to show that he had LD) showed signs of ADHD. The only reason it was caught was because the tester was observant-
He was put on meds (which was an extremely diff choice for me- ) and caught up- he is now in high school and a solid 80's student! Imagine with out those meds he would have been in a special school!!! Those meds allowed him to be fully who he is! And even at 15 you can surely tell the days he forgot his medication!
People who don't live it don't know- and IMO articles like this just put more of a stigma on parents choosing to treat or not.
I totally get what you are saying. I was in denial for a while and when I finally got out of denial about my daughter I struggled about meds too. But I compare her on meds like a light switch. It took me about a week to really realize how different her life was on meds... For the better... Then I felt bad that I had let her miss out in life because I was hesitant about meds. Even though she has more than just ADHD I can't imagine where we would be without all three of her ADHD medications. She's 10 now.