View Single Post
NiNi.R. 12:23 PM 08-16-2017
Originally Posted by Mummy101:

How many of you have termed for just plain not liking a child? (Keep in mind, not all adult personalities are compatible either, it’s really the same thing) While I realize this can be a touchy subject, I am seeking tried and true advice, please refrain from negativity, it makes me sad. I am never interested in partaking in catty banter. We are all on the same team here!

I could mention all the annoying qualities the DCK (age 2 ¼) possesses but that would take forever. OK ok If you insist, I will name just a few…
• Rips every toy off the shelf and onto the floor in a matter of 5 minutes
• Cannot play nicely with other children, constantly takes toys, hits, pushes, cries when corrected and yells. Thinks all toys are “mine”. Hoards toys.
• Needless to say, unstructured or “free play” is out of the question for this one. Oh, but structured activities are out too, as DCK will not sit with the group for 5 seconds without disrupting the entire activity… forget circle time.
• Cannot use paint, markers or anything really that doesn’t go in the mouth, because it will.
• Constantly making NOISE... literally nonstop. Humming, repeating, yelling, laughing
• Always having to take a sit and play separate from other children due to behavior issues
• Riles up other children
• Wakes up the other children during nap

The list goes on forever it seems and it is such a pleasant environment when this child is not here for the day. The odd thing is, the DCK is actually a really good listener and can be very sweet. None of the obnoxious behavior is done aggressively, however, I am CONSTANTLY redirecting and I am exhausted mentally.
I cared for a child just like this, so I think I know what you mean. She started coming to me at 6 weeks of age. As she grew her "terrible two" behavior seemed to go beyond the scope of her peers. Even to myself, it is/was hard to describe it, without it sounding like an "age" problem, it just always seemed like more. Her parents were very permissive. However I'd learned throughout the years that eventually, kids learn what is acceptable at home and what is acceptable at daycare. Sometimes it just takes some trial and error. Her disruptive behavior continued though as she grew, and when I discussed with the parents I would learn she was behaving far worse at home. Leaving them with very little sympathy to correct her behavior at daycare. I love that girl to death though and 50 hours a week, every week, until she went off to Kindergarten, I worked to implement positive behaviors. Most days were successful but very exhausting. Once she was no longer apart of our group, I felt a relief I didn't even realize I needed at the time. I hate saying it but with her absence came a positive change overall for my program, and it changed the way I handled things from there on out.

She is in 2nd grade now and while she still struggles, being treated for ADHD has helped her improve. By saying this, I'm not suggesting in anyway that's the fix. My point is, in my case, it did turn out to be quite a mixture of things that contributed to her exhausting behaviors. I think it all boils down to what you feel like you can handle and what is best for your program and all of the children.