View Single Post
MamaBearCanada 05:03 AM 08-29-2013
That's gross and unsanitary.

If mom isn't taking it seriously give her some options:

Susie, I don't change 4 year olds but it's unhygenic to leave him in a spit soaked shirt. So what would you prefer? If he can't change himself you will need to come and change his shirt or you will need to provide bibs for him.

At 4 I wouldn't give him a lovie if he was going to chew it. Jim, Lovies are for snuggling not eating. As soon as that goes in your mouth you lose it. Then repeat until he stops chewing it. Once chance a day. Or ban Lovies.

Same with toys. If a toy goes in your mouth at 4 you lose the right to play with it. Perhaps give him some fidget toys that keep his hands occupied.

Your house your rules. If you require a new shirt she needs to provide them or you will for a fee. She's doesn't want to change his shirt because she's fine with you doing extra work but doesn't want extra work for herself. Put the extra work back on her. If she doesn't want extra work then she needs to work with her child on his emotions and behaviors. If there is no physical reason he's doing it then I'd put money on emotional, maybe anxiety issues.

Susie, I'm concerned about the shirt chewing. Jim will be starting school soon and you know how mean kids can be. Did the doctor give you any ideas on how we could work to help him with this behavior?