View Single Post
Angelsj 02:04 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
For ladies who have done ten years or more of IN HOME child care, may I ask your opinion

Of the last ten years of experience can you tell me the percentage of kids in your child care who are well behaved, respectful, calm, kind, good eaters, and sleep well? I am going to say about 18%. Out of a group of around 40 kids in that time period, I would say 7 came to me that way. Now, if I have a child for more than a year, that goes up quickly. Of those 40, I would say 30 LEFT my care being all those things.

Out of that percentage can you tell me what percent of their parents do you believe were doing a good job as parents? Meaning they disciplined fairly, had expectations of good behavior, fed healthy food, kept kids clean in well fitted clothing, expected reasonable sleep... rest schedules, expected manners.. and spent a good amount of awake time with their kids.
Of those 7, 5 fit this category. The other two, the mom talks about those things, but honestly does not accomplish them.

Now the same question of the last five-years.
All of this has been in the last five years. Prior to that I had some pretty low income, difficult kids, mostly due to area and my own choices of providing care.

Now the same questions of the last year.
My kids have been quite stable over the last year, so no changes really. (Added three I spoke of above, and a baby sibling.)

Last question. In your entire experience of ten years plus... what percentage of kids have you had where the parents were what you would consider top quality parents but had kids with poor behavior over the years you had the kids?
Early in my career (30 plus years ago) I often had pretty rough parents, and kids who either were golden children because of it, or had horrific behavior issues. More recently, I have one set of pretty darn good parents (and one set of amazing parents) who have children with behavior issues. I think both sets of kids will eventually be ok, but only because their parents are so willing to work with me, their doctor, and behavioral therapists to ensure the best possible outcome for their kids. So, two kids of the 40 fit your category, a sad 0.5%.
Answers in blue above