View Single Post
Blackcat31 02:20 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
For ladies who have done ten years or more of IN HOME child care, may I ask your opinion
Ok, I'm going to give this a shot.

It's Friday BEFORE a vacation, I do not have many brain cells left and I totally suck at math; specifically percentages... LOL!

Of the last ten years of experience can you tell me the percentage of kids in your child care who are well behaved, respectful, calm, kind, good eaters, and sleep well?
I'd have to say atleast 75% of the kids I've had in the last 10 years are most of those things.

Out of that percentage can you tell me what percent of their parents do you believe were doing a good job as parents? Meaning they disciplined fairly, had expectations of good behavior, fed healthy food, kept kids clean in well fitted clothing, expected reasonable sleep... rest schedules, expected manners.. and spent a good amount of awake time with their kids.
Out of that 75%, I believe that 90% of those kids' parents were/are great parents that really care about their child's health and well being and had good parenting at home.

Now the same question of the last five-years.
In the last 5 years, I'd say that 90% of my kids are well behaved, good eaters and good sleepers and overall very good kids.

Now the same questions of the last year.
Still 90%. There is always going to be a bit of gray.

Last question. In your entire experience of ten years plus... what percentage of kids have you had where the parents were what you would consider top quality parents but had kids with poor behavior over the years you had the kids?
Honestly...I think that would be less than 5%.
Only 5% of the kids with great parents were tough or hard to manage children.

There is a DIRECT correlation between quality parenting and well behaved children.

The answers would vary GREATLY had you asked about the FIRST 10 years I was in this business but the percentages NOW verses then is not due to parental changes (societal or personal) but more about how I interview and who I accept into care.

I am much more picky now and I will easily pass on a parent/family/child that I feel does not share the same parenting and discipline philosophies as I do.

THAT ^^^ makes those percentages shift alot.

HTH

If not, just call me if you need further explanation....