View Single Post
daycarediva 04:47 PM 10-25-2012
Originally Posted by MrSint:
Thanks - and don't get me wrong... I LOVE dogs - grew up with them - all I can manage is fish for the time being but would love to get our own dog one day. It's just that, IMO, this breed raises particular concerns - and I can't trust how it's going to be raised, what its individual temperment will turn out to be - where it came from - or what it will do. The fact is that in the majority of cases where a dog attack occurs, it's happened 'out of the blue' - where an otherwise saintly animal has a 'bad moment' one day... and surprise! My own parents' terrier had just such a day & snapped at my daughter... but THAT dog is a Yorkie so what's the worst that can happen? Compare that to the firepower of a pit mix & the consequences are exponentially different. Really, ANY dog is a big responsibility - bigger still if you're running a business that cares for small children/babies out of its residence. It's one thing if she had an established dog when we signed up - then we could make that decision... but to bring in an unproven pit mix rescue puppy without so much as a mention? I know it's her right to do as per the current laws - as it is our right to switch daycares - but as we all know, it's not as easy as switching brands of beer here... and if you think I'M upset by all this - boy, you should talk to my wife!
My daughter was attacked by a pit-mix rescued as a puppy. It was a neighbors dog who broke the door down to go after her. She almost lost her life (and is scared for life). I would find another daycare. Bottom line is the safety of your child, if you don't believe that she is safe, then it is up to you to ENSURE that she is.